|

Saturday, February 07, 2004

Wonder follows work

Yesterday wasn't too bad at work--things are generally quieter on Fridays, especially in the afternoon. I was still answering a couple of phone calls after 4:30, however, but got out of the office a little after 5. The commute in hadn't been too bad in spite of some snow fall (only about an inch), so I figured the ride home wouldn't be bad.

Wrong-o. Since it wasn't subzero or snowing, traffic was heavy--everyone decided to leave work at the normal time. I sat on highway 494 for at least 1/2 hour (normally about a five minute commute). Tim called and asked me to pick up a mouse cord extension on the way home, and I was sailing along Hwy 100 until the snow started and things slowed way down. I got off on the wrong exit and couldn't find the store he wanted me to go to. WHen I called for directions from him, his cell phone wasn't working right. I finally called him on his mom's phone (he was working in her office) and he told me not to worry. Ninety minutes after I left Bloomington, I arrived in Crystal (normally a 30 minute drive). Fortunately, Christina was at a basketball game and had gotten a ride, but Mark and Inga were home with about 6 other teens and eating only poptarts and granola bars. (The last pizza had freezer burn.)

Tim and I went out to Timberlodge and then to get the mouse extension. By the time I got home, the teens were still there, so I made brownies. Mark's friend's mom had arranged to get flowers for Mark for the dance tonight, and Tim's brother dropped off a suit coat for Mark to wear.

Anyway, today, Raven and I enjoyed a lovely walk. It was a bit nippy--about 10 degrees, so cooler than the last couple of days, but the sun was shining and the snow was shimmering. We walked down to the Great War memorial (they didn't know when it was built that it would be the first of 2 World Wars) and gazed down the parkway. There, the tree-lined area canopied over blocks and blocks of pristine snow. It was quite a beautiful, peaceful sight. I relaxed, releasing the tension of the past day and smiling. Raven loved the snow, burrowing into it like he planned to hibernate. He even did his business in a mound of snow in someone's yard, forcing me to wade knee deep into the snow with my faithful plastic bag.

Sure, the weather and snow can be bothersome. But it is good to see God's handiwork in it and stop to take a moment to thank him for the beauty of his creation. I'm glad I live in a land of four seasons, where we have such variety. Summer and green and heat and humidity will come soon enough. It's great to enjoy a rare leisurely morning where, if I can't stop and smell the roses, I can at least revel in the awesomeness of our God who creates such beautiful patterns in the snow, on trees, the earth, and manmade structures as well--he even leaves his imprint of heaven's gift on the lids of garbage cans.

Till next time,


Suzi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com