|

Tuesday, February 24, 2004

Murphy's law 2 and God's grace

It was Monday. I was at the office. The phones were ringing--I managed to return most calls or take messages. The mail came--stacks of it, that needed to be dealt with fairly quickly. I didn't get to filing or paper work till the end of the day--the very end. I could feel my blood sugar dropping, but fortunately I had plenty of food in my lunch pail, and I decided to wait to take my insulin till I could eat a real supper.

It was after 7 when I went out to the van. Pushing my automatic start button, I listened to the feeble attempt for the engine to turn over. Only the lights and radio came on. Again I tried. Again nothing. I called Tim, who was busy at his mom's helping her with tax work, but was sympathetic. He suggested seeing if Jeff (my brother-in-law, the accountant whose office I was leaving at the time) to help. Jeff is a whiz with cars.

Jeff took time (after I tapped on the window to be let back in the locked building) to come help, tapping on the starter, jiggling and disconnecting various wires, but to no avail. We went back inside, and Tim called AAA to tow the van to a 24 hour service station. Tim and his dad rescued me, meeting the tow truck and bringing me Leann Chin stir fry.

At 7 am this morning Tim got a call saying the van would be ready at 10:30! It was the starter, and they also found a leak in the rear transmission seal. The washing machine repair man showed up at 8 am, saving me the trouble of hanging around all day waiting for him. Tim took me down to get the van, which was ready early. I stopped in at Jeff's to thank him again and tell him I already got the van back (and a free car wash in the deal), stopped at Target and the grocery store on my way home. Now I need to finish my Bible study and get the house ready, see if Christina has all she needs for her trip up north to environmental camp with school (for three days).

God is good, and helped me stay calm through the whole ordeal. I'm thankful for people who fix washers and dead starters in vans--in very timely fashions. I'm thankful for loved ones who help me even when they are stressed and very busy.

But I do have to say I hope nothing else breaks, at least not till after April 15.

Till next time,


Suzi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com