|

Saturday, June 19, 2004

Too much sugar

Tim and I enjoyed the beautiful Minnesota evening last night by driving over to visit his parents, to see how his mom was doing after her hospital stay. As noted in my previous blog, she had been having symptoms similar to her stroke from last year, and ended up spending the night in the hospital. All her tests came back normal, except for one--her blood sugar was a little high: 150.

She's been checked for blood sugar before (I've checked her myself, too) and it's always been around 95 or so--really good. But on this day, she hadn't eaten anything, and she and my father-in-law went out for dinner. Spaghetti. Loaded with sauce, with sugar on top. (My father-in-law says his mom always put sugar in the spaghetti sauce she made. I made a face, but then I remembered that I used to eat tomato slices with generous spoonfuls of sugar on top.) Then she had a Dairy Queen Dilly Bar--not bad. But after driving around some more, they decided to stop at Dairy Queen for a small cone.

I think since she had been fasting all day, this sudden intake of carbs caused her to feel sick, and then for her blood pressure to rise, and before you know it, things seemed really bad. Things are back to normal now, and I am encouraging her to eat more frequently (she and my father-in-law typically eat only once a day) so something like this won't happen again.

Funny how I am willing to give out advice so liberally, but don't always heed what I know to be best for myself........

Till next time,



Suzi

PS It seems our little deer has gone to the big hunting ground in the sky. I did not myself see any evidence of this, but our neighbor boy reported that the deer and a car had an encounter on said night of the deer's appearance in our back yard. I guess the car took a beating too--I just hope the occupants are all right. RIP, little fawn!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com