|

Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Chauffeur--one of my many titles

As a stay-at-home mom (for the most part), sometimes I think my life is unfulfilling. The same stuff needs to be done every day or at least once a week. Grocery shopping, cleaning, walking the dog, keeping in touch with the kids, driving them around (although this is easier since Christina is the only one without a license.) I also run various errands, and really never quite know how a day will unfold.

Yesterday, I thought I'd get caught up with cleaning and paperwork. Wrong. After I had walked Raven, cleaned his infected paws and put the prescribed lotion on them, I blogged, took a shower, and prepared to face the challenges of the day. These included picking up Christina from an overnight at her cousin's, and taking Mai to the mall.

Then, I discovered that the man who was doing our landscaping needed more bricks to finish our sidewalk. So, I headed off to pick up Christina on the way to the paving store, to get a band of bricks.

Christina hadn't eaten, and she isn't a morning person, so I left her in the car as I went in to see about getting my stones. Well, they didn't have them. So, they said I could go to a pile (they gave me some vague directions) and collect as many as I could find. Now, these are heavy stones--about 3-4 pounds apiece (maybe more), and rough. I didn't bring any gloves. And it was difficult to maneuver around the yard, as many contractors were coming in with their big trucks and driving around the various fork lifts that were careening about the place.

So, seeing my desperate need of help, the man behind the desk told me to follow him in my van as he walked down to the brick pile. Well, it was muddy there, so fortunately, he ventured in alone, but found only 4 bricks that matched. I needed at least 20. So, we went back inside, and I waited for Tim to call them and decide what to do.

After waiting for 20 minutes or so, Tim and I decided that it would be best for me to try Patio Town up the road. Fortunately, Christina had fallen asleep. But when she awoke, she was fairly agreeable, and I promised her I'd get her something to eat as soon as we took care of this brick thing. Tim called home to get the Patio Town phone number from Mai, who looked it up at Switchboard online. Tim called up there and they were waiting for me when I arrived.

We got the bricks loaded up--very close, if not exact, to the ones we needed. Just as I was going up to pay for them, Tim called and said our landscaper was running out of red bricks too. So, I went back and got another couple of dozen bricks. Mission accomplished. Christina and I headed for McDonald's, then home. Ed, our landscaper, who really does sheetrocking full time, unloaded our bricks and finished the sidewalk. Yeah! I felt like I had really accomplished something, although I didn't get anything done at home. Oh, and then I did get Mai up to the mall.

The adventures of a homemaker/mom/wife. Can't wait to see what will happen today.

Till next time,


Suzi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com