|

Sunday, June 01, 2008

It's June!

Well, I just came in from mowing the lawn. I tried to do it between church services at the church in our back yard, since we attend church on Sunday evenings. It's already warm, so I'm going to jump in the shower after this post.

Yesterday was graduation at Bethel Seminary. I worked most of the day, collecting caps and gowns and making sure the graduates had their tassels before the ceremony. A storm came in the middle of the outdoor reception, so some of the gowns were a bit damp. I guess we were under a tornado watch, but by the time I left it was sunny. Tim was in south Minneapolis at a grad party, and it started to hail there. He had taken his motorcycle, so I drove down there to join him and saw hail on the highway that looked like piles of snow. When I got closer to the neighborhood for the party, I saw bits of fogs that looked like random barbecue smoke coming up from grilling parties, but it was just the steam from the hail that was melting. Weird. Some places had streets full of hail. If it were colder, a snow plow would have had to come move them away, but I'm sure they are all melted by now.

Lloyd John Ogilve, former chaplain of the US Senate was the speaker at graduation. It was very good. The most moving part, though, was when the Doctor of Ministry students marched across the stage. One of them was being awarded a degree posthumously--he passed away suddenly last summer. His widow was there and walked across the stage receiving his hood, diploma, and final transcript. I bawled like a baby. I hadn't met him, but I'd registered him and recorded grades for him for almost a year. His two kids were there with his wife. They all got a standing ovation.

Well, Christina's graduation is this Friday. I suppose I'll have to load up with Kleenex--our baby is graduating from high school! We've got a lot of work to do to get ready for her party here on June 21--I'm hoping we make it!

Friday was my last day at Anthro/Soc for the summer. It was a little sad saying good-bye to my supervisor, whose retirement party we attended two weeks ago. He'll be back as an adjunct in the fall, but it won't be the same. I'll be on campus full-time this summer at the seminary or at the registrar's office for the College of Adult and Professional Studies/Graduate School (CAPS/GS). But I plan on taking tomorrow morning off and hope to renew my permit for my scooter.

Enjoy June!

Till next time,


Suzi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com