|

Thursday, July 24, 2003

Identification

The news of the death of Qusai and Odai Hussein has taken me back to December, 1989. At that time, my family was gathered for the wedding of my brother, and my mom and dad were home in Tennessee from my dad's work with GE in Romania. The fall of communism had been going on everywhere, but Dad was convinced that Romania would never be rid of it's tyrant dictator, Nicolae Ceauceauscu. (sp)

But on December 25, 1989, the tyrant and his wife were captured, immediately tried and convicted, and they faced execution by shooting. Their bullet ridden bodies were displayed for cameras--and CNN showed these pictures all over the world. When I asked me Dad why they had to keep showing this man's body over and over again, he replied, "Because the Romania people would never believe he was gone otherwise."

Little did I know that our daughter was to be born 2 days after the fall of this man, and she was subsequently placed in a Romanian orphanage at 10 days old. Due to the fall of communism in Romania, my parents were able to help us secure her adoption after they returned--my mother putting in countless hours of travel, paperwork, and basically blood, sweat and tears to get this first granddaughter for our family.

It's amazing how God can take such terrible events in history and turn them around for his glory and for our benefit. Our daughter, Christina, is now 13 and every day we thank God she is part of our lives.

Suzi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com