|

Wednesday, July 07, 2004

Luke's birthday

I can't let this day go by without acknowledging our son Luke's 19th birthday. Wow--it seems like only yesterday (I know that's a cliche......) that he was born. Now he's talking about moving into another home with his friend Alex (Alex's grandfather recently moved out and the house needs some updating, which Luke could help do).

He just graduated from high school, so I guess a chapter of our lives is ending. But even if he moves, it will only be a couple of miles away, to a nice area of Minneapolis. He'll keep working with Tim, and I'm sure he'll be back home for occasional meals or to visit the dog (and us?).

Nineteen. Sounds so old, but I don't feel old enough to be the parent of an almost-20-year-old. Old enough to have a daughter-in-law or grandchildren????? I do have friends about my age who already have kids-in-law and some even have a grandchild or two.

Well, I don't regret getting older. Each day, each month, each year is a gift from God. I'm glad I've lived to see Luke turn 19 and see the fine young man he is becoming. We have lots of good memories--many of them camping, some helping him with homework (especially during his two years of home schooling), watching him play baseball and basketball, hearing him play in his school bands (clarinet, then bass clarinet), listening to him on his guitar, bass guitar, and lately drums with his head banging band. He's excited about moving his instruments and his band to a new location. I may not miss the loud noise, but I will miss the drummer/guitarist/bassist son. But I rejoice at his new place in life.

After all, didn't God give us teenagers to make it easier to let them go? Godspeed, Luke. Happy birthday, honey. Stay in the Lord's hands--the best place of all.

Till next time,


Suzi

4 Comments:

Blogger Cheri said...

Happy Birthday Luke!

6:19 AM  
Blogger TKls2myhrt said...

Happy Birthday, Luke!

2:42 PM  
Blogger TKls2myhrt said...

I can't imagine how it feels to have a child move into their own home! It certainly is a day we all hope for, but to see it actually come would be quite an adjustment. Who knows, maybe he'll move back when he's 20! lol!

2:44 PM  
Blogger Your Tim(e) Has Come said...

Luke's birthday is when?????

Just kidding Luke. Enjoy the camera.

8:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com