|

Thursday, July 15, 2004

The other man's grass is always greener.....

Last night I ventured outside where Tim was laying pavers, working to complete our sidewalk to the shed. It was a nice evening, and a friend of our son's had stopped over to help. Our neighbor Dorothy stopped by to admire Tim's handiwork, and I commented on her lovely garden. I have always been jealous of their yard and the beauty that abounds there, since I have not a single green thumb or finger (I think my older sister inherited all that. (Our dad grew up on a farm and still loves to garden.) So, she took me over to show me the different plants growing in her garden.

While I was silently lamenting my skill as a gardener, she was wishing the bricks in her garden had been laid as carefully and with as much planning as Tim was taking in placing our sidewalk. She also pointed out some weeds that she hadn't gotten to, and as we walked back towards our yard, she commented on how beautiful our hostas were, and how she would love to have one like ours with white edging around the leaves.

I guess I hadn't even noticed that hosta was any different from ones she had, nor had I noticed any weeds or irregular brick laying in her garden. I felt a little comforted, somehow, in knowing she was not a perfect gardener and envied something I had. How petty are those feelings of mine! I guess I'm learning to appreciate what I have, and what others have and can do. None of us are perfect, but we can help each other and enjoy the gifts that we can share. (She may even take part of our hosta when it comes up next spring!) Maybe we'll get some of her peppers when they ripen.......

Till next time,


Suzi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com