|

Tuesday, April 19, 2005

A summery day

Yesterday I heard something unusual for a Minnesotan to say. I had heard the guy on the radio say it was 80 degrees. And when I went into the grocery store, two men were discussing the weather. One was saying, "It's too early to be this warm" in a sort of complaining tone.

Every year Minnesotans long for spring. We search for that first robin, we heralded the melting of snow and the ice coming off the lakes. We welcome the green grass and trees after months of snow or brown barrenness.

Too early? When I left the grocery store, it was 83 degrees. Our neighbors have already started planting annuals. The grocery store has not even set up its greenhouse yet! The road crew still hasn't cleaned the street curbs where sand and salt remain from icy roads of winter.

Today I'm wearing shorts and a t-shirt to celebrate the warmth. I have to say I'm a bit chilly, since it's a rainy day and not quite 60 degrees yet. But I'll enjoy the warmth while I can. And I'll try not to think about the year it snowed several inches at the end of April, one week before our May 7th wedding...

Welcome, robins, welcome sun, welcome rain, welcome green grass and budding trees! Winter will be back soon enough.

Till next time,


Suzi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com