|

Friday, April 08, 2005

Treasuring old friends

Marlyce and Birdie are two sisters we have known for a long time. They are single seniors, sharing a cozy apartment in a retirement center. They've known Tim since he was born, and they've known me since I moved to Minnesota and became engaged to Tim.

We attended the same church for years and years, until the church closed it doors 2 1/2 years ago. Since that time, I haven't seen them as much.

So, I was happy to get a call to assist them in gathering their tax information. Gladys, my mother-in-law, had already prepared their taxes, but I stopped by to help them with various envelopes and forms they needed to mail.

We talked about people who've recently been sick or died, and they talked a little about their own health issues. It's hard to see friends getting older and not feeling well--I remember them as serving on various committees at church, working in the kitchen, hosting church bridal showers, attending board meetings with them, etc. etc.

In spite of problems Marlyce has been having with her leg, she came down to the lobby to meet me, walked with me to the elevator and to her apartment, and then back to the entrance as I left. They seemed so grateful for the little time I gave them--but it seemed such a small thing compared to the lifetime of service they have give to the church and to others.

I hope when I'm their age I can be as graceful and caring as they are, and bear any infirmities I have with dignity. For now, I'll ask for grace for each day, as there are daily challenges in every life, and I'll be glad for the examples of Marlyce and Birdie.

Till next time,


Suzi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com