|

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Something to blog about

Yesterday was a different day. I knew I had been feeling tired lately, and I attributed it to change of life things and a longer than normal period than usual (hope that doesn't offend anyone). Anyway, yesterday I finally went in to see my family doctor and got some results.

First of all, I found out that I needed a tetanus booster (it's been 11 years--when was your last tetanus shot?). So I had that done. The nurse put the bandage on the wrong spot so I had to grab some tissues as she left the room to stop the bleeding. Then I talked to the doctor and had my blood drawn in the lab. Results: my hemoglobin was 6.6. I guess 11 is normal. She (the doc) said that my blood must have been low for awhile, because you don't just go from normal to 6.6 quickly without going into shock. My blood pressure was good and all other vitals fine. But the next trip: Out patient center at the hospital for two units of blood transfusions.

The doctor told me to go directly to the hospital--do not pass go, do not collect $200, do not stop for lunch. So, I went, and I was ushered into a room with a big chair and a nice nurse. A lab person came in and drew more blood. Then I was told it would be about an hour before my blood would be ready, so I went down to the cafeteria for some lunch with a handy beeper. After I finished lunch, they beeped me so I headed back upstairs to my room. Another lab person said I needed more blood drawn, so they took some more out of me.

Finally, my blood was ready. By this time I was beginning to feel like a pin cushion, and I guess when your hemoglobin is low, your body doesn't want people poking and stealing blood from your system. After several more pokes (first a poke to "numb" the area followed by an attempt to access a vein), finally a nurse/lab person was able to find an entry point in my left hand (see picture above).

They had told me I'd be in the hospital for about 5 hours. Did you know it takes about 2 hours to receive one unit of blood? I had the fun experience of being unplugged twice from the electrical outlet that charged my IV stand so I could go to the bathroom. I was also hooked up (on my other arm) to a blood pressure machine.

I felt so much better after the transfusions, and the color has returned to my cheeks. I'm not quite out of the woods yet--this morning I have an ultrasound of my uterus to see about the fibroid tumors that are probably there causing the bleeding. I felt pretty good on my walk this morning, but I was tired when we got home. I'll go back to my family doctor this afternoon and probably have my hemoglobin checked again. I also start on iron pills today (can you say constipation?).

Well, sorry if all this is more than you wanted to read today, but thought I'd give an update to anyone interested. Don't forget to vote for your favorite picture of Mark (scroll down). And if you're wondering what NKDA means on my wrist band, it is "No Known Drug Allergies."

NKDA. There's a silver lining behind every cloud.

Till next time,


Suzi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com