|

Sunday, August 24, 2003

Hanging on for dear life

Last night Tim and I went sailing. This is his new passion, although I guess it has been a lifelong wish of his. Who am I to deny him of this? And, since I am his wife, I should partake in his joy as well, this, of course is reasonable.

The first time we went out there were hurrican gusts on our little lake. "Finally, some wind!" Tim exclaims (I guess you can't blame him--it has been still or rainy or he had been busy for weeks). So, I try to share his enthusiasm. After minutes out in the gale, however, I am screaming for shore. Seeing our hopeless predicament, Tim, being the kind husband he is, complies and manages to steer us back to safety.

Never again, I think. Then, Tim finds a spot for the boat on a bigger lake, with "easier maneuverability." So, I agree to try again, and this time I am pleasantly surprised. We enjoy a romantic afternoon on the lake, I hardly get wet, the view is spectacular, and by the end the waves have almost lulled me to sleep.

So, yesterday, I agreed to try this venture again. It was a bit breezy, but not like our first voyage. We get out in the boat, sail filling, and head into the warm waters of Medicine Lake.

Well, about the only thing I was grateful for on this trip was that the lake was warm. (And that we didn't completely tip.) We did severall 45 degree angle maneuvers, we took on water (Tim took out the plug--to drain the water, he said...) and I was soaked from stem to stern. My head ached from resting on this shelf part of the craft--I should have used Tim's soggy life jacket that he discarded the moment we set sail. It would have made a wet, but comfortable pillow.

Finally Tim agreed to steer us in. (Really, I did not scream as much this time, and I even offered my help.) Just as we were getting close enough to wave to our friends on shore, "the wind" (says Tim) took us out again. I spent more time hanging on one side or another, hoping my weight would be enough to keep us from tipping to the other side. This is probably the only time in my life I wished I weighed more (not that I'm fat........... or any thing.....)

Well, the second attempt (after going all the way across the big lake) was more successful. We trimmed the sail and Tim paddled us to safety. We did hop out several feet from shore (we were soaked already--why didn't I wear my bathing suit!!!???), and plodded through the swampy, muddy bottom to the rocks of the docking point.

Will I go again? Stay tuned........

Till next time,
Suzi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com