|

Wednesday, October 08, 2003

Got purpose?

This weekend our church will begin a 40 days of purpose study, based on Rick Warren’s book, The Purpose Driven Life. As we look forward to that, I’ve been thinking about my purpose.

Is my purpose to make sure my kids are up every morning and out the door in time to get to school?

Is it to have an immaculate house? (Don’t ask my husband this question.)

Is it to work full-time, or at least part-time at a job that is fulfilling to me and helps put bread on the table?

Is it to be a volunteer–have many friends–be involved in many social and community activities?

I think asking about my purpose is a good start, but it is not the real question. The real question is, who am I in Christ? My purpose in life should be to glorify him and serve him in all I do. My worth comes from being a creation in the image of God, my salvation is from him as I accepted Jesus as my Savior.

It is not what I do or who I associate with that gives me purpose. If I am a baby in the womb, I have worth. If I am an old lady in a nursing home who can do little more than pray, I have worth. If I am a stay-at-home mom with teenagers–I have purpose. My job is to seek God daily and ask him how I can serve him each day–to be a holy example to draw others to him.

A tough job? You bet. I must seek the strength of the Holy Spirit daily to help me in this task. And knowing what Christ did for me–giving his life to show how much value I have to him–makes me know I have purpose and gives me the desire to serve him.

Our purpose is to follow Christ, day by day, minute by minute, step by step. Lord, help me to fulfill this in all I do every day.

Till next time,

Suzi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com