|

Thursday, September 23, 2004

A mix of emotions

Yesterday, I new I was going to have a busy day running around. But before I was about to leave, I got news of my sister's mother-in-law's death, which I have posted about above. She had written a beautiful blog about Fran, and I made a brief comment before I ran out the door. I called Tim to tell him and ask him to pray, surprised at my emotion, tears and even sobs as I told him the news. After my morning Bible study, I went to the bank and to Wendy's for a salad. I called Pat, my brother-in-law, and had a nice talk with him about our memories of his mom.

Then, I headed for Camping World to buy a sewer hose for our camper. Next stop, Rainbow Foods for Tim's favorite cereal (Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Crunch--which I can't find at Cub anymore). Then, I went to the Christian bookstore, and finally stopped at the library.

I was looking forward to unwinding at home, checking e-mail and calling my own parents, when my cell phone rang. It was my daughter Christina. "Mark is such a moron," was her greeting. My son Mark is certainly not a moron, but instead of arguing I said, "What's wrong, Christina?" She explained that Mark had left the lights on the truck and now the battery was dead. (He is driving his brother's old truck while the muffler on his is being replaced. Luke's old truck doesn't beep when the lights are left on.) So, I took Raven out quickly for his afternoon business, and then jumped in the van, jumper cables in hand. I called Tim and also Luke for advice, since I have always had help in jump-starting any vehicle. Mark, being 16, had not had a lot of experience in these things.

Onward to their high school. Just as I suspected, Mark had parked facing in. He was in a corner, with a car parked on the other side of him. Fortunately, the truck was a stick shift, so we had Christina (age 14) sit in the drivers seat while Mark and I pushed her out. The steering wheel stuck, so Mark quickly gave her the keys so she could steer while we pushed (a very helpful thing). Finally we were able to position the truck so we could hook up the cables. Mark and I carefully read the instructions and hooked up the cables to the proper terminals, leaving the negative cable hooked onto a metal part of Mark's truck (not hooked to the negative terminal). I started the van, and Mark tried to start the truck. Nothing.

I noticed some corrosion on the positive terminal of Mark's truck, so I recalled my high school auto mechanics class. Coke works great on corrosion. (I may have recalled this from other life lessons too, I'm not sure.) So, I gave Christina a dollar and told her to run back into the school to buy a Coke from the pop machine. A minute later, she comes running out, saying, "They don't have Coke!"

A little exasperated, but still able to be amused at my blonde daughter's remark, I replied, "Then buy a PEPSI!" Soon she returned with the brown cola. Meanwhile I found an old sock in the back of the van (don't ask) and used this to help administer the Pepsi to the offending battery terminal. Mark and I watched in amazement as the corrosion disappeared. (Makes you wonder what happens to your stomach when you drink the stuff.)

We hooked up the cables again and started it up. This time, success! We were all very proud and happy with the results. Then Mark said, "Mom, do I need to keep the truck running to keep the battery charged?" Yes, I replied, that would be a good thing, for it to run awhile to make sure the battery stays alive. He responded that he was low on gas, and sure hoped he'd get home before he ran out.

Well, he did make it home. But I noticed another thing about the truck--the tabs on it are expired. This morning Mark dug out the plates that Luke had bought, but not put on the truck yet with the new tabs for July, 2005. I told Mark to put the plate in the front window. Hopefully he will not get stopped by a cop for driving with expired tabs.

It's always something.....

Till next time,


Suzi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com