|

Thursday, May 26, 2005

Blogging for change

As I posted yesterday, I do not normally blog on controversial topics, just on daily life. Thank you to those who chose to comment to lift my spirits a little. But I do want to recognize those bloggers out there who are changing the world.

This morning, as I was looking for commentary to help me on my post at Blogging for Light, I came across an article at Crosswalk by Albert Mohler, President of the Southern Baptist Seminary. His article was entitled "A Common Culture in the Age of Blogging?" and wrote about how bloggers have retreated from the mainstream media and begun a new phenomena of their own--the blogosphere.

Among other things, he writes: "In a strange twist of irony, the culture of Western civilization may survive through the efforts of a core of dedicated bloggers who are unwilling to see it die. The media elite will simply have to watch from a distance, scratching their heads as they watch their audience disappear and their influence dissipate. The long-term impact of the blogging revolution is yet to be seen. Nevertheless, the toppling of the mainstream media's monopoly is a cultural achievement in itself. May the revolution continue."

I will try to keep my corner of Western civilization alive through blogging about my daily life (which includes, by the way, helping my son study for his finals test in his Western Civilization class at his Lutheran high school.) Blog on, defenders of traditional values! Our voices are varied and we often disagree, but we do have voices, and some are turning the tide of culture by the words they pen (ummmmmmm, type).

By the way--I think change needs to begin with the spell check on blogspot. After many months of blogging, spell check still does not recognize blog, blogging, or blogosphere. Let's revolutionize spell check as well!

Till next time,


Suzi

4 Comments:

Blogger Cheri said...

So are you dodging the diet or regular controversy?

9:29 AM  
Blogger Suzi said...

Ummmmmmmm

2:18 PM  
Blogger Your Tim(e) Has Come said...

I know the regular or decaf coffee issue is too HOT for her to handle. That's why McDonald's has wisely added those warning labels.

10:28 PM  
Blogger TKls2myhrt said...

Good post, Suzi. I do enjoy many of Dr. Mohler's articles, despite the obvious Lutheran/Baptist differences. He is an excellent observer and commentator on today's world. I, too, think that bloggers are the common man rising up to say, "I've had enough of newspaper and television reports that try to tell me what to think and what exists." There are enough of us now that we can accurately relay news to each other. That's really cool, I think. Even if our kids don't see it yet.

Have a great Memorial Day weekend, Nelsons!

9:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com