|

Saturday, December 17, 2005

I love my dog, but...

Today Raven and I enjoyed a sunny stroll through the snow. It's been overcast the past few days with the new snowfall, so it was nice, albeit colder, to see the snow sparkling in the bright morning. We passed a snowman that Raven barked at (or maybe it was the dog in the next yard). I'll have to try to get a digital picture of this. It was dressed in a straw hat and holding a life-saver type device/toy. (Got to get the picture.) It was also holding a sign, "Going south." I need to download my pictures from my camera and put the new memory stick in it so I can have room for more shots.

When I got home I picked up the paper and started to read Heloise's column which included accessories that are popular for dogs, including sweaters, collars and leashes, dishes and bowls, beds, toys and treats. When I was at the pet store yesterday while Raven was finishing up his grooming, I saw dog toys in the shape of George W and Arnold S (labeled "the governator"). I guess it gives dogs something to chew on--food for thought--an opportunity to become (or not) politically correct.

Anyway, after reading Heloise, I turned to Dr. Michael Fox's column for the first time. Apparently, he is the "animal doctor." I read about how dogs shouldn't be forced to be home alone for 12 hours since forcing them to hold it can be hard on their systems, and I'm thankful the kids come home from school to let Rave out. But then I read the next letter about "Animal rights." Dr. Fox prefers the term "bioethics" to "animal rights" because it is less polarizing, he says. Apparently, an extreme position he feels one side holds is that "(other) animals are inferior, were created for man's use and that only humans are made in God's image."

Duh! Humans ARE created in God's image, and hey, read Genesis 1 and 2 and you'll find that man (excuse me--the first "people ") were to subdue the earth, name the animals (and by animals I'm not including homo sapiens in the category) and implied in this is that they are to be their caregivers. It wasn't until sin entered the world that meat-eating began, but all along I think God's plan was and is for people to treat animals in a caring and humane way. But, they are just animals and though beautifully made, are not made in God's image with a spirit and soul and ability to talk, for example (unless they are clever cockatiels, which ours was not).

Having said all that, my doggie is a good pal to me and I'll be sad when he leaves this earth. As good as a friend that he is, he is just a dog and I know that losing friends and family members is much more difficult.

I'm thankful for pets and their companionship, but I have to say I'm much more grateful for my husband, children, and extended family.

However, it is nice that dogs don't come home late, make questionable choices in friends, talk back (except when they bark too much), ask for favors, expect you to clean up, run errands, shop for them etc. etc.........

Till next time,


Suzi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com