|

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

I'm pumping!

Last night we "installed" my insulin pump. After a three hour session with my nurse, interrupted only periodically by Christina and Raven, I was hooked (up). I am becoming the bionic woman. I have contact lenses in my eyes, piercings (only one in each) in my ears, and now an insulin pump attached to my stomach.

I have to wake up at 3 am for the next couple of nights to check my blood sugar. It was 87 last night. (A little low, but not dangerous--my target range is 95-140.) I thought about eating a cracker, but was too sleepy, so I went back to sleep. After all, with all the stuff in my head it took me till almost midnight to fall asleep initially. I was up again around 6:20 and took my blood sugar at 7 am. It was 121. Pretty good. After my walk it was 128. I adjusted my insulin for breakfast and will check my blood sugar again before lunch. One cool thing is that the blood sugar monitor reads my levels and then it has some kind of wireless connection to the pump so it reads that level as well. That way I don't have to enter my number manually on the pump unless I wait longer than 30 minutes to do so.

I survived my shower, disconnecting the pump and reconnecting without any problem. Sleeping was another matter--I tossed and turned a bit, wondering if the slender tubing would break or strangle me as I had the pump under my pillow. It did neither.

And, for my lounging days at the beach in my bikini (HA! TRIPLE HA!) this summer, I can go pumpless for the day and resort to my old insulin habits. Otherwise, I can go up to an hour without the pump if I'm swimming or in a hot tub.

Fun times!

Till next time,


Suzi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com