|

Thursday, May 10, 2007

May, mid-life, and .....

I have been waiting to blog about this till I told my parents. Now I have done so.

They, especially my dad, were concerned. Perhaps even a stronger word than concerned. But we have talked a second time, and I have promised them I will be very careful.

Actually, I blame my sister (sorry Cheri). She told me last week that she heard that the price of gas may go up to $4 this summer. So, I said to Tim, "Maybe we should get a motorcycle."

All day Saturday Tim looked at scooters. Late Saturday afternoon, he whisked me down to Scooter Squad to look at a 125 cc Yamaha Vino.

Tim bought me a scooter for our anniversary. I'll try to post a picture soon.

I thought it would be nice to ride to Bethel during the summer. It's not a heavy duty motorcycle, but it is strong and stable. It's also pretty (wine colored and silver).

On Monday during lunch, I took the motorcycle permit test. (You need to have a motorcycle endorsement to ride this bike.) I passed: 91 percent!

It was rainy on Tuesday, so I practiced riding last night before sunset. Oh, some conditions of driving with a permit (which is good for one year): no night riding, no freeway riding, you must wear a helmet, and you can't take on passengers.

Today I rode to Bethel and back on side streets Tim showed me (in the Highlander) on Sunday. It is actually a pretty straight shot and fairly easy. It took me awhile to figure out how to turn the turn signal off, though (you must do it manually, by pushing the button on the turn signal switch).

I stopped at Anthropology/Sociology before going to the seminary for my meeting at 2 pm. One of our TAs was there, meeting with other students. A couple faculty were there as well. One of them grabbed a camera and the posing began. When I posed with Harley (the name of a faculty member), I said, "I'm with my Harley!" Even the department chair eventually got back and stopped up for a picture.

I found a spot at the seminary to park (Safety and Security advised me not to park on asphalt on warm days--the kick stand will sink in the tar and the bike will topple), so I parked in a grassy/dirt spot, putting a piece of wood under the kick stand. The meeting went well, and I made it safely back home. Oh, I also wore my orange florescent vest so drivers could spot me.

Tomorrow I have to pick up some flowers after work, so I'll probably drive the car. Next week, who knows? Tim and I plan to take a class to learn more safe riding habits.

I never dreamed I would ever ride anything motorized by myself except a car. But don't worry. I don't plan to graduate to anything bigger than my Vino any time soon.

Besides, Yamaha Suzi sounds better than Harley Suzi. Now I just have to find those leather pants and coat...how does a tattoo that reads "I love my Mom and Day" sound?

Till next time,


Suzi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com