|

Saturday, July 14, 2007

Employment excitement

Above: the logo for the Bethel University employee intranet log-in page. Left is the university main entrance, next is the outdoor courtyard on campus (I think), next is the university chapel, and on the right is the seminary library staircase.

Last spring (2006), when I lost my part-time job as a Communications Manager, one thing Tim told me was, Well, maybe you've lost a part-time job so you can look for a full-time one. At the time, I'm not sure I appreciate this "helpful" comment (sorry, honey), but as the summer wore on and a stream of interviews ended up in no prospects, I began to think more about it. But as time went on, I realized that I needed to think about part-time to begin with, hoping that it would open the door to full-time employment one day.

Well, last August, I was hired part-time to work in Anthropology/Sociology as an Administrative Assistant at Bethel University--I job I absolutely love. But it's only 15 hours. So I looked for another job on campus. In October I applied for a 20 hour a week position--working at the Bethel Seminary registrar's office as Registration Coordinator for the SemPM and Doctor of Ministry programs. Thanks to the recommendations of my new friends at Anthro/Soc, I was offered this position as well. But 35 hours a week with summers off did not add up to full time--yet. (Although I did get retirement benefits--hurray!)

Fast forward to summer of 2007. Two people from the seminary registrar's office (out of 3 1/2--me being the half) are out. One had a planned three-week vacation. The other had a planned C-section which ended up being a fast labor 10 days early with a husband out of town (but thankfully her mom was here!). So, two full-time people were out. I had already gotten approval for 20 hours a week for one month during this time.

Now, in addition to the absence of two of the registrar's full-time people, the university registrar's main office was undergoing some stress. Our CAPS/GS (College of Adult Professional Studies/Graduate Studies) program was experience growth (a good thing) but the associate registrar for the program was being stretched to the max. The University Registrar spoke with me about the possibility of working five more hours a week, devoting that time to CAPS/GS in the registrar's office. This brings me to FULL-TIME STATUS--and in the summer I'll only work 25 hours a week!

So now my job title at Bethel is: Administrative Assistant in the Department of Anthropology & Sociology and Registration Coordinator/Advisor for SemPM & Doctor of Ministry programs and Registration Coordinator (I think that's my title anyway) for the College of Adult Professional Studies/Graduate Studies. Think I can get 'er all done in 40 hours a week?

As of now, I've been approved to work 40 hours till the end of the month to help fill the current vacancies. I am very excited about this new opportunity and the CAPS/GS person I'll be reporting to has become a good friend--in fact--we meet at her house for the book club I joined at Bethel in October!

God is good. His timing is not always our timing, but his outcomes make the wait worth it. Monday I talk to HR about benefits. I'm just afraid they may charge me for the space my new title will take up in databases/printed rosters....

Till next time,


Suzi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com