|

Saturday, November 24, 2007

The most amazing day

Wow, where do I begin?

Yesterday morning we woke up in Eagle River after a wonderful Thanksgiving dinner the day before with my sister Cheri and her family. It was her (and her husband Pat) anniversary. They have been married 34 years! Happy anniversary!!! And thank you for such a terrific turkey day--what fun and delicious home cooked food!!!

We stopped by their house for turkey sandwiches and good-bye hugs. Cheri gave me my birthday present early--an incredible purse that looks like a leash till you keep zipping it up to become a purse. I should post pictures. It's really cool.

Yesterday was also my in-laws 50th wedding anniversary. Happy anniversary Jim & Gladys!

We hit the road a little after 1. We soon realized that Tim had left his coat at Cheri's, so we turned around and picked it up, along with a sweatshirt Christina had left behind.

On the road once again. But more was in store for me that day.

I should have been suspicious when Mark was driving the speed limit (not over). I should have wondered what Christina was jabbering about at 12:01 that morning when I was sleeping but heard her say something about "I didn't know the party was tomorrow night!" I should have wondered why Luke hadn't parked at our house, but that we had to drop him off at home in Brooklyn Park. I should have figured something was up when Beckie called saying she was sick and could we please pick her up from work and take her home, even though it would be over an hour before we could be there and she seemed just fine with that.

I should have known something was amiss when Tim went inside Luke's house for several minutes (where he was placing a phone call). It should have tipped me off when we arrived to "pick up Beckie" and Mark and Christina both jumped out with me to get our "sick" friend.

When I saw Tom from church at the top of the stairs, I should have put two and two together. When I saw family and friends gathered in a large room and Beckie over in a corner bustling around, I should have known that something had been in the works. I wondered why my boss from Bethel was sitting among people he had never met...

Then someone yelled "Surprise!" and I finally figured it out! This was a birthday party--for me!

Tim had been covertly sending out invitations with terrible pictures (and some nice ones) of me. He had invited my friends to meet at a place where a friend of ours operates a catering business, also the place our friends Dale and Beckie work. Friends were to RSVP Beckie, and Dale and Beckie did all the set-up and the food. Tim worked hard to time our arrival between 6 and 7 pm, after we had driven across northern Wisconsin all day.

I was wearing a sweatshirt and the same jeans I'd had on for three days. Everyone was commenting about the "funny" picture on the front of the invitation Tim had sent. They were saying "Oh, Suzi I laughed so hard, but you're gonna kill Tim if you ever see that." Finally my friend Judy produced the offending "brochure," and I have to say I laughed pretty hard too. On the cover was me with a very frowny face, because in January of this year I received an AARP card. I was sitting in a chair, wearing my old glasses, and holding the card with a large pout on my mug.

But it was wonderful being treated like a queen, eating great food, and spending time with old and new friends. I toasted my in-laws a couple of times (the glass clanging thing you do at weddings) since they were there to celebrate my birthday when it was actually the date of their 50th anniversary. I tell you, I don't know if I want to be at my future daughter-in-laws birthday party (whoever that may be) when Tim and I celebrate our 50th. But I suppose I'll just be glad if I can walk out the door! (And my in-laws are walking and doing quite well!)

We did a lot of catching up, telling funny stories, and eating last night. We didn't leave till around 10:30, then took Dale and Beckie home and picked up Raven from their place, where they were dog sitting while we were out of town at my sister's.

Raven was happy to see us, and peed in their yard as soon as we got him outside. He jumped right in the car, then we found out we had Dale's jacket, so we turned around to return it. On the way home, Raven made a funny noise and I noticed that he had puked on the car seat.

We finally got home after 11, and I got Raven inside and cleaned up the mess, and we proceeded to unpack. I was going to watch The Office that I thought I had taped on Thursday, but I had forgotten to Tivo it. So I headed to my computer and Facebook (my new time waster).

Whew! It's good to be home, great to see family and friends, and wonderful to have so many blessings to be thankful for. I am really thankful for a great (and a bit crazy) husband who did so much work to pull off such a great evening for me.

Love you honey! Can't wait till it's my actual birthday on Tuesday--what will we do after my book club!!!

Till next time,


Suzi

PS In addition to all of this, Tim has now blogged!

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Suzi! I turned 50 in June. Cheri made it easier. Does she do everything with grace? Seems to me she does. Hope you have a wonderful day.

6:02 AM  
Blogger TNfarmgirl said...

Hi Suzi!
Happy Birthday - sounds like you had a WONDERFUL celebration!
Blessings,
Cheri

10:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com