|

Monday, September 08, 2003

Volunteering

Volunteering is great, if you don't let it get overwhelming. Tim has done a good job of protecting me from overcommitment in recent years. Since we haven't become extremely active in a church since our church closed a year ago, we have enjoyed some relaxing times at home with our kids. But opportunities abound--in and out of church.

We can be involved in our AFS exchange program chapter--coordinating fundraising, for example. Already Tim is our chapter treasurer and I'm the publicity coordinator (I send out e-mails on calendar items). We can volunteer to help with our kids sports programs--working concessions, helping at spaghetti dinners, working on fundraisers, etc--not to mention driving them to practices and games.

We can help with music boosters, more fundraisers, attend concerts, etc.

And this week I'm starting my Bible Study Fellowship. I agreed to be the assistant treasurer for our location, and this morning I'm going to a training meeting. It doesn't sound like a big commitment--only 30 minutes a week after our class.

So, volunteering is good, but I need to keep a correct focus. God first, then family and home, then volunteer stuff.

That way I'll have time to take my kids to the doctor (even though they're teenagers, they still get sick), help them with homework, and be available if they want to talk--or be available to meet their friends.

Till next time,
Suzi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com