|

Monday, August 02, 2004

Obsessing about little things

Yesterday was an action-packed day. To read Tim's take on it, visit his blog. It was full of delightful surprises and some moments of frustration. As Raven and I were coming home from our walk, I spotted my friend Lis riding her bike. I almost didn't recognize her, because she's losing so much weight (not that she really had so much to lose), that I'm afraid if she doesn't stop, she will fade to nothing! Anyway, I invited her over for a drink of water, since she still had a couple of miles to pedal before she got home. We had a fun time catching up while she sat sipping at my counter and I took the opportunity to tidy up in the kitchen a bit.

After Lis left, I decided I should hurry and get ready for church and the two outings we would be attending later in the day. Tim decided we would visit a new church that morning, so I had to adjust my thinking. But, the church was close to home and would get us home earlier so I would have time after church to prepare for the outings.

Church was fun and fine, and we connected with some old friends there. We took the kids to Arby's, and then came home to get ready for outing number one: a boatride on the Mississippi with our small group. We were planning to eat on the boat, and I had volunteered to bring fruit. I worked, meticulously piercing watermelon and cantaloupe pieces on small toothpicks, as well as making strawberry/blueberry kabobs. I thought this would be the most convenient way to eat on a flying speedboat. Finally, I tired of the monotony of it (and I was running out of time) and threw the rest of the fruit into a bowl. After all, Judy said she was bringing plates and forks.

Well, turns out my kabobs were devoured and the salad was left untouched. But, I was able to bring my fruit salad to our niece's birthday party after the boat ride, where it had rave reviews (or maybe I just imagined that)--and I still had leftovers to bring home for my family's dinner tonight.

The Mississippi River ride was fun. We dodged shallow areas, created wakes for waterskiers, and even stopped at an open house as the relator hung over the deck and beckoned us to come view the $910,000 home she was showing. We laughed, ate, cried as the remains of the Ruffles bag flew off back of the boat (our apogies to the EPA or whoever regulates river pollution), and generally had a good time with our six friends.

Then off to the birthday party, where we enjoyed time with family, watched the younger kids play of the slip and slide, and ate more food and Dairy Queen cake.

After we got home, Tim and I helped Luke take some carpet to his new house, and got to see the work he's done painting. I swept the floor in his room while Tim helped him assemble his bed. Then we came home to collapse (actually, I think Tim blogged, I ate popcorn and watched reruns of "Everybody Loves Raymond.")

Earlier in the day, I was obsessing about where to go to church, how I would get the food made and would it get eaten, and everything turned out fine, and even wonderful. Maybe today will be a less obsessive day.

Till next time,


Suzi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com