|

Thursday, September 23, 2004

Memories of Fran

Yesterday I got the news of Fran's death while I was reading my sister's blog. I hadn't yet checked my e-mail from Cheri, which she had sent the night before, telling of how she and her husband found his mother in her home, suddenly gone--probably of a massive coronary attack. I like to read Cheri's blog every morning--even through her times of difficulty, she always has something encouraging to share. After I read her post, I was running out the door to my Bible study, so I didn't even have time to drop an e-mail--I just made a brief comment on her blog.

So today I would like to write a bit about Fran. She probably wouldn't like this attempt at a small tribute--Pat (my brother-in-law) told me yesterday that she didn't want a "fancy" obituary--just name, rank, and serial number. But I can't post today without taking some time to remember Fran.

Fran and I were related only by marriage--my sister has been married to her son for over 30 years. Over those years, though, I have come to feel that she is part of my family and I a part of hers--after all, we share a special bond with her son (my brother-in-law), her daughter-in-law (my sister) and her grandsons (my nephews). I feel as though she has adopted me and my family as her own as I've gotten married and had my own children. She always remembered my kids' birthdays and remembered us at Christmas time. For a few years, I would send her and her husband Bob (a wonderful man who passed away a few years ago) a cat calendar. I had fun picking these out, thinking about how she would enjoy looking at them each day. But one year, with great difficulty, I'm sure, she wrote asking me very tenderly and with grace if I would mind not sending them anymore--that she could even reuse calendars (after 6 years, I think?) and she didn't want me making any extra effort on her behalf. I was touched by her thoughtfulness, and respected her wishes.

We did keep her on our Christmas mailing list. Every year we send out pictures and try to put together a special letter for friends and family. Every January, she would write me a thank you note, beautifully penned in her small, neat cursive, as though we were honoring her by taking the time to include her in our mailing. A thank you note for a Christmas card! But that was the gentle, thoughtful spirit I remember about Fran.

In her notes to us, she would often encourage me in my writing endeavors (which during busy years were often limited to the Christmas letter!) . She was a writer herself, and Pat told me she corresponded with many people on a regular basis, and even made notes of telephone conversations with special people that she kept and cherished.

Please pray for my brother-in-law, sister and their family. They have lost a special lady, but she has left a written legacy for them to cherish, as well as many precious memories (and a few kittens which now need homes!). Their pain is fresh and real, but my sister's family knows Fran is receiving her eternal reward now, and that comforts all of us who miss her. Good-bye Fran, for now--thanks for the wonderful legacy you have left behind for so many.

With love,

Suzi

2 Comments:

Blogger Cheri said...

Suzi, what a wonderful tribute! You made me cry, but my tear ducts have been working overtime the past few days anyway.
Thank you so for your kind words. Would you mind if I printed it out and distributed it to family members?

2:35 PM  
Blogger Suzi said...

I would be honored if you wished to print this out for family. I hope Fran won't mind a bit of sentimentality on her behalf!

Love you so much!

Suzi

4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com