|

Tuesday, November 30, 2004

A funny comment

Yesterday I spent the day recuperating from all the planning, cleaning and cooking of the two Thanksgiving dinners. I put the turkey soup in the crockpot for dinner, and headed out to pick up our Christmas card pictures.

I had received a call that my sister-in-law had exchanged the blouse she had purchased for my birthday for the correct size. It was at my mother-in-law's.

I was in the neighborhood, so I called my dear MIL to ask her if I could stop by to pick up the blouse. She said that would be fine, and asked if I happened to have the baster I had borrowed from her. I didn't have it with me, but she said that they could pick it up later. I was a little surprised, because she had said she didn't think she'd be making a turkey again, since it is still a little difficult for her to use her left hand after her stroke 1 1/2 years ago.

I arrived at her house, tried on the blouse, and got ready to leave. Before I got out the door, she called, "Do you know what I thought when we left your house yesterday?"

I felt my pride puff up a bit, waiting for a glowing compliment. Instead, she replied, "I thought, I can do this! I can make a turkey dinner!"

A little deflated, I laughed anyway and replied, "Right, if Suzi can do it, anyone can!"

Later I realized that my efforts may have encouraged my mother-in-law to try to do something she thought she couldn't do anymore. Rather than taking offense at her comment that was not intended to offend, I decided to be happy that she was thinking about doing more in the kitchen. In fact, when I was over there, she was cooking hamburgers and frying potatoes for lunch. Lately, she and my father-in-law have been eating out for most meals.

Good for her, I thought. Maybe I won't be hosting Thanksgiving next year after all.

Till next time,


Suzi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com