|

Monday, December 27, 2004

Fifteen years

Fifteen years ago today I was not in labor, but another woman was. She was the birth mother of our adopted daughter, Christina. Fifteen years ago, I was gathered with my family after Christmas in Tennessee for my brother's wedding. (His birthday is today, too--happy birthday Rog!) On Christmas day, 15 years ago, I watched CNN with my family as the news of the Romanian dictator's execution was broadcast over and over, complete with video of the bodies of he and his wife on the ground, dead by firing squad for their unspeakable crimes.

My parents were home from Romania for my brother's wedding. My dad was on an overseas stint there, working for General Electric. We had no idea how the events that were transpiring would affect our lives--not just because my parents worked there, but because our daughter was being born there.

She was one of the "iron crib" babies we watched months later through our TV screens. Tim and I had two boys, 3 and 5, but were thinking about a third. Wouldn't a girl be nice, we thought--since there were no grandsons yet on our side of the family. How would mom and dad like to help us adopt one of those precious Romanian orphans?

Well, I wasn't sure they would take us up on it, but eventually they did--and my mom threw herself into the task of achieving a granddaughter. (At one time during my "terrible twos" she said, "I hope you grow up and have a little girl just like you!" Little did I know she would hand deliver her to us! ;) ) Days turned to weeks, weeks to months, and my mother and her faithful friend Mia traveled to an orphanage in northern Romania where they found our Christina. Through myriads of paperwork, tireless days and nights, determination and prayers, my mom brought our Christina to us on May 18, 1991. (Maybe I wrote about this on an earlier blog, too........but I think it bears repeating).

I am so grateful to my parents and their friend Mia, and the others who prayed and helped us meet our new daughter. Today she is 15 years old, teetering on the threshold of womanhood. These teen years aren't the easiest, but I'm sure they are worth it. Our beautiful baby has turned into a lovely young woman.

Happy birthday, Christina. We love you and are proud of you and so thankful to call you our daughter.

Love,


Mom

1 Comments:

Blogger Cheri said...

I'm very glad and proud too to call Christina my niece.
Happy Birthday, Christina!!

5:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com