|

Monday, December 20, 2004

Chosen by Uncle Sam

Saturday was a cold, windy day in the Twin Cities. So, mid-afternoon when the doorbell rang, I rushed to open the door and usher whoever was there inside the house.

There stood a strange man. Raven greeted him with an incessant bark, and I stood there surprised as he flashed a badge of identification from the US Census Bureau.

"Did you get our letter?" he inquired. "Maybe--" I stuttered. "My husband's been in a tossing mode lately......." Usually anything from the government is related to taxes for Tim's business, so I just toss those envelopes on Tim's desk without a second thought.

We had been chosen to represent 150,000 Americans "just like us." We are to record all our spending/expenses for the next two weeks. Fortunately, this doesn't include business expenses, but it does include everything else for the four of us who live here. Eating out, groceries, bills we pay during that period of time, even vending machine snacks--are all to be recorded in a big calendar-sized booklet that the Man At The Door left behind.

He graciously added that if I want to just include a grocery store receipt, that he would take the time to itemize each purchase. Ay caramba.

So, we and 399 other Americans are busy recording all our purchases this Christmas season. They seem particularly interested in any alcohol purchases we make (which will be none). I suppose they are not only trying to get figures for Alan Greenspan for consumer spending, but also see the drinking habits of Americans, especially at this jolly time of year.

This may be a good exercise. I just need to make sure I save receipts and keep up every day. We're in to day two--just 12 more to go. Uncle Sam, you'll know one more thing about me and mine!

By the way, today my Daddy is turning the 3/4 century mark. Happy, happy birthday Dad! We love you lots and hope Uncle Sam and everyone else is good to you this next year!

Till next time,


Suzi


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com