|

Friday, December 31, 2004

A tale of two letters

Disclaimer: the following blog contains the name of a politician, but this writing is not intended to campaign, gloat, offend or otherwise upset any reader. Thank you.

Yesterday in the mail I received two letters. One letter and one card, actually. The card was hand addressed to my husband and myself--a Christmas card. It didn't have a return address, so I eagerly opened it to find out who sent it. It was a beautiful Hallmark card of the three wise men, with this printed inside: "The King who was sought was found." "Wishing you the perfect joy that is found in Christ the Lord." A handwritten note followed: "Hope you have a great holiday and a great new year." But it was unsigned.

The postmark was Carbondale, IL--but the handwriting was not of my aunt who usually addressed cards from that part of the world. So, if you are the sender, thank you so much for the lovely card, and I hope you had a wonderful Christmas.

The second letter did have a name on the outside, but no address. It simply said, George W. Bush, President. (I suppose it's like when Billy Graham was in the Twin Cities--he used to say, "Just write to me at, Billy Graham, Minneapolis, MN--it's all the address you need." Now that Billy's headquarters are in North Carolina, I suppose they need at least a PO number....)

On the second letter was this handwritten note: "Dear Suzanne, (handwritten, remember)

Thank you for your great help on my campaign in Minnesota.

With your help, we achieved an historic nationwide victory, winning a record total of over 61 million votes.

I am honored by the trust of my fellow citizens, confident in our purpose, and looking forward to continuing to lead this nation for four more years.

Laura joins me in thanking you for your steadfast support and in wishing you and your family a wonderful Holiday.

Sincerely,

George W. Bush"


I know this letter from W was simply a photocopy, but I was impressed that it was handwritten--and my name (although not my familiar nickname, Suzi) was handwritten, too. It must have taken some time to do that, copied or not.

So, as the year ends, it's nice to get greetings from friends and the famous alike, signed or unsigned. Happy new year to all of you who have muddled through my blog at some time or other this calendar year. I thank you for your readership and wish you a blessed 2005.

Till next time,


Suzi, friend of the unsigned as well as presidents (well, one president--well, I got a letter from his staff, anyway.....)


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com