|

Monday, May 30, 2005

Weird, but great!

The last few weeks of "back to the past" have been great--reconnecting with old friends on e-mail and blogs. Yesterday we got home from a picnic with friends and Tim checked voice mail.
"Well, I just saved a message from a blast from your past," he said.

It was my old roommate from my grad school days, Lori. I listened to her voice and the story of how she had run into another old friend, Pam, and wanted to relay her encounter with Pam to me. Now, I send Christmas cards to Lori and her family every year, and have received one about every five to ten years from her. I had lost touch with Pam, so I was happy to hear how I could reconnect with her.

I called Lori back. As she and I talked, it was as if I had just seen her yesterday. The years of being 400 miles apart were like nothing as we reminisced about old times and caught up with what's happening in our lives now. She had saved a piece of paper I had written to her once--that I remember saying to her, probably on more than one occasion. Lori was getting some advice on something (political maybe?) from some male friends, and I had said/written to her: "Instead of listening to these men, why don't you listen to your roommate who loves you and who reads the newspaper?"

Maybe it's only funny for the two of us. And Lori now reads the newspaper quite frequently, but at the time she didn't. Anyhow, it was fun to chuckle over something we both remember.

I suppose as I get older, I'll probably be living in the past even more. But hopefully I can still be mindful of the present and plan for the future, all the while trusting God for his will for my life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com