|

Saturday, August 20, 2005

Family reunion

Today was the family reunion. Turns out it was even more extended than I thought--the family group went back to the descendants of my mother-in-law's step-grandmother. So, gathered together were many people who had never met, and some who weren't even related by blood, just by marriage. It was a beautiful day for a gathering--at a lakeside setting with plenty of food. As we gathered for a family picture, Tim's Irish uncle worked to keep everybody cheery with his lusty rendition of "When Irish eyes are smiling'" and "Too rah lee" what is that song, anyway? Anyhow, I think most of the folks were Scandinavian, but I'm sure everyone appreciated Uncle Pat's attempts to bring smiles before the camera.

Our kids really didn't want to be at such a gathering--on a nice summer Saturday they'd have a bunch of other things to do with friends--but they came anyway. I was proud to introduce them or re-introduce them to cousins, aunts and uncles.

A couple of the ill relatives I had expected to see were not there. One just got out of the hospital yesterday. It was good to see other family representatives and to send along good wishes, smiles and prayers.

I'm looking forward to that great family reunion--the greatest one--when "we all get to heaven--what a day that will be!" In the mean time, I hope I can take advantage of the earthly family and friendships I have now.

Till next time,


Suzi

1 Comments:

Blogger Rodney Olsen said...

Don't you just love those moments at family reunions when you notice an unfamiliar face and you have to try to access a lifetime of memories to figure out if it's someone you should know? Even worse if they wander up and call you by name. All you can say is 'great to see you'.

9:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com