|

Friday, January 27, 2006

The thaw is sometimes thawful

Temps are to skyrocket into the upper 40s today. So, as I have the day off, I decided to walk Raven after the sun came up and enjoy a nice spring-like morning. I was almost looking for robins--it's that nice out, with a nice sunrise and not too many clouds.

I donned my tennis shoes (who needs boots when it's above freezing?) and Raven and I headed out. As we crossed the street, I knew we were in trouble. The snow had melted in many places, but there were many patches of ice on the sidewalk.

As we walked along, I wondered what I would do if I fell and were incapacitated. I always carry my phone with me, so I figured I could call Tim. If not, I could call Luke, and he could probably get me home or to the hospital. As I was pondering this, a dog across the street barked. Raven barked back, pulling on the leash. Fortunately it wasn't too icy there so I lucked out.

But I had a few more close calls. Once I really almost lost my balance, doing that waving one hand in the air thing to desperately try to stay vertical. You know how your heart flips around when that happens. But, we made it past that patch.

Then, we were almost home free. We were coming to the end of the sidewalk, and about to enter the parkway where the path was wide and dry. After that I'd be walking on the street, where there was plenty of salt and sand to keep me upright. Just as I was about to cross the street to safety, I hit another icy patch. Voom! (Is that the sound of a fall? Maybe SPLAT would be better.)

I landed on my back, catching myself a bit with one hand. Raven looked back, but didn't seem too concerned. I didn't feel too hurt--I felt my neck snap a bit so I might be a little stiff later. My back is already stiffening up a bit, but a good shower might help a lot.

Well, we managed to get home without any more scares. Luke is coming over today to help organize and clean. I'm glad I can be home, too. Luke worked his magic in the kitchen the other day, since drywall is kinda slow now. He cleaned and got things looking really nice. Tim has assigned him the laundry room next.

After the slip sliding I'm happy to stay home, but I've got to go out and grocery shop. Plus, I want to enjoy the nice temperatures from the safety of my car. The sidewalks may be bad for now, but the roads are nice and dry and clear.

And, with Luke's help, our laundry room will soon be nice and clear. Who knows, maybe we'll tackle Tim's office next!

Till next time,


Suzi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com