|

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Resolutions to challenges

As I get older, I aim to get a little bit wiser and gain more patience. As challenges come along in life, I hope I am waiting to see how God's hand will work through difficulty instead of spending time moaning and complaining.

Every year there are challenges as we prepare for Cornerstone. You can't make a 500-mile (one way) journey with two vehicles, six people, and a camper and spend a week camping with 17 people on one site without interesting events.

The first, of course, was the issue of my low hemoglobin. My doctor really was not all that comfortable with me leaving for remote camping for a week, miles from a hospital and living in an environment where I'd be walking and spending time in dusty or muddy heat. So, the two units of blood I received on the day we left really boosted me.

Today I found out how boosted I was--my hemoglobin was up to 11.3! (My bleeding stopped about a week ago, so that really helped, too.) This was up from the low level of 6.4 two weeks ago. So this challenge was resolved by the gift of blood--thanks to all how donate this life saving treasure!

But because it was taking me so long at the hospital on the day of our departure, Tim and Luke decided to leave early last Monday with the camper, so they could set up before dark. Tim came to the hospital to get their portion of the tickets. I was not thrilled that we wouldn't all be traveling together, but decided that Mark, Christina and I and friend Jackie would make out all right together.

However, when I was almost done receiving my second transfusion, I realized that I didn't have my tickets any longer. When Tim picked up his tickets, I kept my portion in my lap, in a white envelope which was covered by warm white hospital blankets. One time when I got up to use the bathroom (my IV had to be unplugged from the electrical outlet and I dragged it with me to the ladies' room) the nurse took away the old blankets and I had left the envelope with them (I was pretty sleepy at that point).

So, just before I left the hospital, I was scouring around my room for the tickets. My nurse went through the laundry, but it had already been sent out.

Before we left town, I called the Cornerstone Festival office. They assured me that they had record of my ticket purchase and I'd just have to show ID at the gate when we arrived. This proved to be true, and we all received our wristbands to wear throughout the festival. Crisis averted.

There were more challenges and resolutions, but I'll save them for another day. If you are facing a difficulty today, take a breath, count to ten, ask God for patience and wisdom. Do what you can to resolve things, but trust God for the rest. And enjoy the suspense of waiting to see how he will work things out.

Till next time,


Suzi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com