|

Sunday, November 19, 2006

25 years sure goes fast


Here is the Kim/Soeun family at the home of Paul & Mary Johnson (pictured in the back left). The Johnsons threw a little party for the family to celebrate 25 years in the United States. They had escaped with their lives and two little girls back in the late 70s during the Killing Field days of Cambodia. They settled for a time in Thailand, where their third daughter was born. In time, our church found out about them, and they traveled to the Minneapolis area in October of 1981.

I didn't live in the Twin Cities yet, but Tim worked with Ken, the dad, on his English and helped him look for work. When I moved up to Minnesota in 1982, I started spending time on Monday evenings with Koliyan, the oldest girl, helping with homework and other things.

One of my favorite memories of this family was eating the fantastic egg rolls that Yan, the mom, fixed. Mmmm mmmm. I was not disappointed when we arrived at the party. I remember that once we had asked her if she could make two dozen of them for an event we were hosting. She hesitated a little bit, thinking we said, not "two dozen" but "two thousand"! I think I ate half a dozen of the delicacies last night!

It's so amazing to see the hand of God on this family and how the people who came to the party had been touched by them as well as helped them as they found their way in a new country. I couldn't believe the older girls remembered my frog collection--it was one of the first things they asked me about.

It was fun seeing others from our former church, too--some came without spouses who have gone to be with the Lord, but we all had great memories. Sweet times with sweet friends. I hope it doesn't take another 25 years for our next reunion!

Till next time,


Suzi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com