|

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Dentists, Dents and Deja Vu or Fun Times on My Day Off

Before I begin my little tale I would like everyone to know I am fine, physically and probably emotionally too.

The day began well. I didn't have to work today, and my dentist appointment wasn't till 10, so I lazed about a bit. Tim drove Christina to school, and after that he had a good meeting with the pastor of the Mennonite church, which leases space to our church. The pastor used to work at a position at Bethel that Tim is interested in.

Raven and I enjoyed our morning walk, and when I got home I took a leisurely shower and got ready to go to the dentist. I got right in, had my x-rays, and was pronounced "good." I was feeling a bit smug--they didn't complain about my gums or flossing, and I commented to them on how much better my life was than the last time I was in the office, after I had just lost my job. Now, I said rather proudly, I am working two jobs at Bethel and life is fine. My teeth are good and I am happy. My dentist, who has really become rather a friend, said he didn't remember my doom and gloom six months ago. He said that sometimes when people come to the dentist and get bad news, it becomes the proverbial straw that breaks the camel's back. Tears come, and sometimes even anger at good ole Dr. Westman, for no fault of his own. I was happy to say that most of the time, I enjoy my dentist visits.

Later in the day, I recalled a time almost 6 years ago. I was on my way to a dentist appointment then in our old van, just entering the intersection after the light turned green, when someone plowed into me. Our van was totaled, I hit my head slightly, but was not really hurt. After weeks of looking and dealing with insurance, we got a replacement van, almost exactly like the old one, with less miles, and with insurance money.

Fast forward to today. I chatted with my mom for awhile around noon, and then decided I should go deposit the check that had finally arrived for Tim. I was feeling happy, in spite of all the road construction going on in Robbinsdale. I went down a couple of detour streets to get to the bank.

I pulled into the bank parking lot, and headed to the bend before getting to the drive-through. All of a sudden, I felt an impact and a strange icky sound. Someone had hit me. It was sort of a side swipe, but they took out the bumper underneath the driver's side headlight and smashed it into the front left wheel of the car, just bad enough so I couldn't drive it.

I called my insurance company, my husband, and the police. I couldn't get out my door until the other vehicle backed up a bit, it had me wedged in, although there was no damage to my door.

Long story short, the other driver didn't have her license or insurance information. I had to have my car towed. It was a rather nice day weather-wise, so I opted to walk home, after I went inside the bank to deposit the check.

I spent most of the afternoon on the phone with insurance people, auto body repair people, etc. It might be possible to get a loaner car. If it turns out the person doesn't have insurance, we may have to pay a small deductible, and then of course wait to get the car fixed.

I should have more answers tomorrow. I've gone the gamut of emotions, from calm and practical to upset, teary and frustrated.

I'm just glad no one was hurt. That is, except for Scotty McGregor, our Toyota Highlander. Hopefully Mr. Auto Body Fix-It Man will make Scotty good as new.

For now, I'm also grateful I can drive the Tundra. I'm also grateful Christina doesn't have her license yet. That's one less worry to contend with.

Till next time,


Suzi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com