|

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

The new job


The path to the seminary


The college campus is noisy. Kids are skateboarding, talking on cell phones, hurrying, always hurrying, inside and outside the building. (The skateboarding is done outside. I did, however, see someone on one of those segway thingies.)

The seminary campus, on the other hand, is serene. There is no scurrying, only deliberate walking. The whole seminary building can be toured in five minutes or less--the college would take hours to walk down every hallway and stairway.

When I was a college student at Bethel, I used to come over to the seminary to study. Perhaps things have changed, but back then the library was a place to congregate. It was hard to concentrate on any homework. The sem library, however, was a haven. It was a pleasant walk on the lakeside path from the college to the seminary.

Today I walked from my new job to my old job, going down the path past the lake, seeing the Canadian (Canada?) geese and marveling at the 60 degree plus temperatures on Nov. 8. I left the solitude of the seminary for the bustle of the college.

I enjoy both. The interaction with young students and a contemplative atmosphere.

On Monday I will get to meet seminary students. Most of them work full-time and attend two classes on Monday evenings from 5:30-10 (with a break between 7:30 and 8). It will be fun to see if they are as serene as I imagine them to be.

Till next time,


Suzi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com