|

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Gotta have IT

I love IT (Information Technology--the techies at Bethel--and other places, too). They have patiently walked me through many troublesome things, have set me up with wonderful stuff on my computer and trained me on a wide variety of subjects that I never dreamed I would need to know to do my job(s) at Bethel.

That's why I was surprised today to learn I probably would not be able to have access to a folder I would need to do my new job. Or, if I did have access to it, I wouldn't be able to access the folder I needed to do my old job.

If I were two people, it would be fine. But I am only one.

I was told that exceptions for this kind of thing are just not made. I could have stuff (Word documents, etc) moved (at great inconvenience for the department that did the moving) to another shared folder, or I could just live without the access of one of the folders.

Sad.

Well, I don't know who in IT to thank, but they did make an exception because of my two positions. Jeremy, if it was you, I'm very grateful.

However, we are transitioning to a new data base on campus. In six months, the whole issue will be up for debate again.

Also this morning, the seminary lost power for about a minute. Just when we were all thinking we'd go home and get some baking/shopping/decorating/packing/wrapping done, the power came back on.

Of course, it took awhile to reboot everything on the computer, and to navigate around the error messages that pop up when it shuts down in a way it doesn't like.

Computers. A love/hate relationship sometimes. Techies. Always a love relationship, but sometimes it's a confusing dance between the techie and the techette (me).

I have to say I'm looking forward to the Christmas break, when my computer(s) at campus will have a chance to rest and will happily (I hope) reboot in the new year.

After all, we're not dealing with Y2K anymore, right?

Till next time,


Suzi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com