|

Sunday, May 13, 2007

Happy Mother's Day Mom!

I know it's a well-known fact, but it is really true. You don't appreciate your parents until you become one yourself.

That is definitely true for me.

I have a little story about my mom and me. Once, when I was about two years old, I guess I was a handful. I always say it is because I turned out so great now, that my parents say this about me because I was too young to remember that I was apparently so bad. There is really no evidence of this, except perhaps the slightly chipped tooth my older sister has from where I threw the Viewmaster at her.

Anyway, at one particularly exasperating moment in my toddlerhood, my mother said, "I hope you grow up and have a little girl just like you!" I think she meant this as a sort of a curse, and there are days when I agree that's just what it was (love you Christina!).

But in reality, this statement turned out to be a huge blessing. Because you see, after giving birth (emergency C-sections in both cases) to wonderful boys, Tim and I decided we would like to think about adopting a girl. My parents lived in Romania at the time. Also at the time, there were many children in orphanages there who needed homes.

I brought this up to my parents, and they sprung into action (after a brief period of "huh?" Then I think my mom remembered the "curse."). My dad wrote me a letter with all the things I would have to do to adopt their first granddaughter (my older sister--right, the one with the tooth--had three boys). My dad's co-worker Mia sprang as well, and found an orphanage and a beautiful little blonde girl.

Armed with power of attorney, love, devotion, determination and lots of prayer, Mom got my little girl for me. My parents were her foster parents. My (younger, perfectly toothed) sister met her before I did (mom's plane to Minnesota stopped in Chicago first).

Anyway, Christina has been an amazing blessing to our family. Have there been trying times? I write this toward the end of her teen years (she's 17) and I say, yes, definitely. Would I go through this again? Yes (I'm not sure Mom would!).

So, happy Mother's Day, Mom, to the one who not only gave me life so I could pass that gift on to my two boys, but who prayed and cried and worked very hard to get a sweet little Romanian girl to a waiting home in Minnesota. I can never thank you for all you have done for me and my siblings over our lifetimes, but this precious gift of a daughter is the most amazing gift you have ever given me.

Thanks to Mia, too, who was such a support to Mom and without whom the adoption would never have taken place. You, too, are like a mother to Christina. Thanks Dad, too, for making it all possible by moving with Mom to Romania and being such a support to her through the process.

Love you Mom!!!! You are the best!


Suzi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com