|

Wednesday, September 24, 2003

Don't fence me out

For the last couple of weeks on my morning walks, I've noticed a new white picket fence on one of my routes. It extends for many yards--closing off the border just beyond a church parking lot, blocking would be intruders from a back entry.

It is a nice fence, and it could have had a gate for entry, I thought. Today I walked the length of a fence (brazenly trespassing in someone's yard, probably) to see if maybe there was a gate somewhere. No gate. The fence extended from a neighbor's chain length fence to a creek, so it would be difficult for someone to come through that way.

This saddened me. I can understand that perhaps people were walking through the property, taking shortcuts due to construction on the other side of the road. But, why not welcome these visitors?

I've heard fences make good neighbors. But most fences have gates, to let people in--to invite them to come while protecting property at the same time. A church should be a place where anyone should find a welcome.

I wish they had thought of a gate.

Till next time,
Suzi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com