|

Thursday, November 11, 2004

Revisiting the preschool years

I am convinced that one of God's great gifts is the elementary school period. Though not without problems, they are like a sea of calm after the storms of toddlerhood/preschool years and before the torrent of emotions of teenager-hood.

My kids generally liked school in the years between 5 and 11. They adored their teachers, they interacted well with their classmates. They were beyond the clinginess of preschool, and they had moved past most of the selfish stage--they were good at sharing toys, books, and ideas.

Then came adolescence. Shocking words, like, "I hate school" came from their lips. Problems between friends became harder to resolve. Emotions flew up and down like the tantrums of toddlerhood.

I still remember their toddler days, although I'm sure it is through rose-colored glasses now (they were so cute!--and they really were!). I remember the tough times, too, and the feelings of exhaustion.

But as I compare these two stages, I must remember that this time too will pass. Already my 19-year-old has moved out and on. And, even though they want to be treated as adults, my other two are not adults yet. I can't expect them to behave as adults even though I may think they are capable of it most of the time. They are still growing, maturing, and not perfect.

I'll try to remember the patience (NOT) I had with them as toddlers. At least now I am not undergoing the physical exhaustion of parenting young ones. (The emotional and mental stress often seem to make up for it, though!) It just seems that the consequences of bad choices now can be so much higher. But God got me through those early years, and he will get me through the teen years too.

And, as when they were little, I can still peer into their bedrooms and see their peaceful faces soft with slumber. (True, now I have to do that in the morning, because at night I'm usually off to lala land long before they are sleeping.)

They are really great kids, but sometimes the road through these years can get bumpy. I know that the journey will be worth it, and they are maturing to be fine young people. I will simply remind myself that teenagers, like toddlers, still have some growing up to do. And as the grown ups, my husband and I will need to be the stable ones and look to the One who is our Rock and the Most Stable of All. I'm keeping on my knees through these years--and probably throughout my life.

Till next time,


Suzi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com