|

Friday, December 03, 2004

Courier/cleaner

This week my job title has changed from homemaker/homebaker/turkeytrimmer to courier/cleaner. I have been diverted from my homemaking duties to fetching furnace parts, cleaning office space, and picking up and delivering corner beads. Yesterday Tim asked if I could come help clean up a job--it'll be about an hour of vacuuming--so I agreed. When I got there, I started up the new upright Tim had bought, only to have it die on me. After giving it a bit of a rest (and Luke cleaned it out--we were vacuuming up sheetrock dust after Luke had sanded the walls), the vacuum started up again, only to die moments later. So, I resorted to the shop vac--going around the rooms on my hand and knees to get up all the white powder (again, sheetrock dust, not some other white concoction!). Tim came to my rescue (he was at a nearby job) and fixed the vacuum. I worked for awhile, then quit. Tim came back, and fixed it. It quit again. After 4 hours, I left Tim to finish the job. Sigh.

This morning, he called me with a different mission. Can I pick something up for him--a box of 8-foot corner beads. Will you be asking me to work once I get there? No, he promised. So, I left, and I finally managed to find Wallboard after driving around an industrial area for a few minutes. No parking was available, so I pulled right into their large warehouse garage. I think it helped to look like a helpless female, because I got service right away and someone helped load the corner beads into the truck.

I drove to the outer regions of the metro area and arrived at the job site. Tim told me to call him when I got there, and he would carry in the order. I called, he answered, but he didn't get outside till I had dragged the box to the doorway.

"I'm not asking this, but Luke is," he said as he greeted me. "He wants to know if you'll help him with the nails. I told him no way, Mom needs to get going, and I promised her that she wouldn't have to do any work."

Well, feeling for my son, I decided to help with the nails. Besides, I hadn't done that work in awhile, and it is kinda fun. So, Tim gave me a hawk, knife and some mud. I proudly whipped through those nails (really screws) in no time, only to discover I had gotten drywall mud all over the front of my shirt. Ah well, I was able to wash it off in the bathroom and then be on my way. I stopped off at the grocery store on the way home, and so I'm finally blogging, late again, at 1:20 pm.

I wonder what hat I'll wear next week?

Till next time,


Suzi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com