|

Saturday, January 22, 2005

Snow, snow and more snow

We haven't had much snow this winter--Tim's been complaining about it on his blog.
Yesterday we made up for the scant snowfall this season. The day started with predictions of 2 to 10 inches. When all was said and done, I think it was closer to the ten inch mark. I drove the kids to school in the morning, all clear. Mark was packed and excited about his science class overnight at Schwan Center for Creation Exploration in Wisconsin. I told Christina I'd be back to pick her up after school. Little did I know what the day had in store for us.

I drove on to help Tim at the wallpaper removing job on the other side of town. After working there for a couple of hours, I went to Tim's brother Jeff's office to meet Jeff's wife in preparation for our work during tax season in Jeff's office. The snow had begun to fall, but it wasn't too bad yet. Dawn and I talked about changes and plans for the season, and we left before 3 pm.

The snow was coming down pretty good by this time. I was happy to be driving Tim's Tundra truck since he got his new cube van. Confident I could manage the highways and byways with my four-wheel drive, I headed out.

Now, normally it takes me about 30 minutes to get home from the office. I had been planning to pick up Christina, but she called before I left to say that school had been dismissed early due to weather, and she was getting a ride home with a friend. I didn't know how grateful I would be for that ride.

Christina arrived home about an hour after she left school (normally a 20 minute commute). She was able to take Raven out for his afternoon routine. I figured I'd be home soon after.

Wrong-oh. Traffic was moving at a steady pace--A STEADY SNAIL'S PACE that is. If I hit 10 mph the whole way home, I was a happy camper. Fortunately, I was tuned into an entertaining radio program (Garage Logic on KSTP 1500 am) so the time flew by (HA!)

I think I was at the Excelsior Boulevard exit off Highway 100 for at least 30 minutes. Fortunately, there were no accidents and few stalls on the road, but it was sure dang slow. I could not believe that it took me over THREE HOURS to get home. When I finally exited the highway, I was so proud of our Robbinsdale city road crew. Roads were plowed, curb to curb, making my commute home so pleasant after the nightmare crawl on the interstate/highway. I was thankful, however, that the roads, though slow, proved to be safe. Nobody could get seriously hurt at 5 mph.

Tim arrived home just ahead of me. I was again happy for 4wd as I sailed through inches of snow and into the heated garage.

I didn't feel like cooking or driving, so Tim offered to take Christina and me out to Old Country Buffet. I figured it wouldn't be busy, especially since many of their clientele are senior citizens. When we got there, we saw Tim's parents at their regular booth. They had braved the elements in their 4wd, so we exchanged stories about our afternoon.

Today, Tim, Christina and I shoveled the mounds of snow that had drifted overnight--over a foot in many places. Then we took Christina to a friend's to go sledding while Tim and I headed back to the wallpaper removal job. Fortunately, the designer was there, and she was a huge help in getting the wallpaper off soak it soak it soak it--hot water works best). Now it's almost 5 pm and about time to pick up Mark from his adventure. Hopefully it won't take us more than 30 minutes to get to school to pick him up.

Till next time,


Suzi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com