|

Friday, January 21, 2005

Retrieving the forgotten

When my kids were in grade school, they would often forget things at home, and I'd run them over to school. This wasn't hard, because we live right across the street from the elementary school. As they've gotten older, it is more of a challenge to bring forgotten items to them, since I actually have to get in the car and drive for at least ten minutes. Fortunately, they are not as forgetful now as teens, or maybe I'm not as willing to run stuff to them. (I'm more willing for them to suffer the consequences of not remembering to bring something.)

Yesterday Mark forgot his lunch at home. The school offers hot lunch, but Mark was not signed up for it and we hadn't paid ahead of time (a requirement). I decided I could run another errand out his way, so I grabbed his bag and headed out. (He did take the time to make it himself, so that gave him some points.)

I got his lunch to school, and the secretary said she would see that he got it. (I'm so glad they are in a small school this year!) I ran my errand, and headed for home. Mark was happy.
When I got home around noon, Tim was there, to my surprise. He had stopped to pick up something, and left shortly after I arrived. Just as he pulled out of the driveway, his cell phone rang--still in the house. He had forgotten it.

I know that Tim gets a dozen or maybe dozens of calls a day, and I'm sure he didn't want to be retrieving all of those messages at night. So, I called our son Luke to discover where Tim was working, and then I grabbed his phone and headed out to find him.
Two more phone calls later and a few wrong turns, I managed to locate the house and Tim. He was surprised to see me but glad to have his phone back. In fact, he had tried to call the phone from the home he was at, thinking I might answer it. (I didn't!)

Mark decided to stay after school, so I'm glad he didn't have to go hungry. Tim still had phone calls after he got home, so I'm glad he was able to answer a few more during the day. And I still had time to make an apple pie and tidy up the kitchen.

Today I'll be wallpaper-removing in a remote location, but I'll be with Tim. Mark is heading to Wisconsin for an overnight environmental field trip. Hopefully we will all remember everything, cause I ain't driving back home or to Wisconsin.

Till next time,


Suzi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com