|

Thursday, January 20, 2005

Wall paper mess and other challenges

Yesterday I drove 45 minutes to meet Tim at a job. My mission: to remove wall paper from a kitchen wall. He had promised to be there way ahead of me--it turned out that we arrived at exactly the same time. So, that worked out well.

We were greeted by the homeowner's two dogs who took turns running in and out of the house. There was also another team of construction workers stationed elsewhere in the home, doing various carpentry projects.

I went into the kitchen area, armed with spray bottle, empty pie pan, scouring pad, sponge and white vinegar. I proceeded to spray the walls. (I have next to no experience in wallpapering, never mind wall paper removal.) I was able to chisel away at the paper, using the broad knife Tim had given me. But I really didn't make a whole lot of progress in the two hours I was there. Tim had to leave for another job, and it was getting close to rush hour, so I left too. As I went to move my truck so Tim could load up some sheetrock, the black lab followed me, ball in mouth. I threw the ball down the hill in the direction of the house. Unbeknownst to me, the ball went under the dumpster. Fortunately, our son Luke who was also working there was able to find another ball.

The homeowner had left for the week, but hadn't bothered to take the pets. She had also left her vehicle parked in front of the mailboxes at the curb, so the mailman drove up and asked us to bring the mail in, thinking contractors had parked there. I brought it in and dumped it on the piano with another stack of stuff. As I went out the door, I noticed a sign with instructions on it for the workers. It was from the homeowner, telling us to make sure to lock up and be sure that the dogs were inside before we left.

So, it's not enough that we tackle stubborn wallpaper and wind our way around a messy house (I know, I shouldn't complain--look at the log in my own eye.........) but we have to work around her dogs, play with them and take care of them--never mind trying not to hit them as we back into the driveway and they dance around our tires.

Today I'm going to look for better wallpapering tools and fabric softener. (I guess fabric softener helps remove wallpaper.) Tim doesn't want to rent a steamer or use chemicals. He probably won't even get over to the job today, so I'll be there tomorrow and Saturday most likely, in between going to the tax office to get set up for work there next week.

Variety is the spice of life, isn't that what they say?

Till next time,


Suzi

2 Comments:

Blogger Cheri said...

Suzi, you are a true Renaissance woman!

9:59 AM  
Blogger Suzi said...

Thanks! I think.........;)

9:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com