|

Thursday, March 24, 2005

Planning ahead

When you work too many hours, you can forget things. Last night, I was driving home from work about 7:15 when Tim called.

"Guess what I forgot?" I figured it had nothing to do with me, so I just waited for his answer.

"Our appointment with our financial planner at 7:30."

I had written the time on our calendar, but I had forgotten as well. I assumed I'd be home in plenty of time and it wouldn't be a problem to get there.

Tim had to run home to get some paper work to sign, then we met at the financial office. My brain was tired as we looked at projections and numbers and Tim talked about me working full-time once the kids have left home and how that money would be put toward our retirement income.

Today I'm reading in James and these words lept off the page (the internet, Biblegateway.com, actually): James 4--13Now listen, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money.” 14Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. 15Instead, you ought to say, “If it is the Lord's will, we will live and do this or that.” 16As it is, you boast and brag. All such boasting is evil. 17Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn't do it, sins.

We were talking about how much money we would need if we were to retire at 70. If everything works out, we'll have enough money to live till 100. Otherwise, we might run out of funds at 80.

I know that it's good to plan--saving is prudent and wise. Investing is also prudent and wise. But I know we cannot carefully map out a financial strategy and expect things to go in an exact direction. And I know Tim and our financial adviser know this as well. Circumstances change, health deteriorates, things come up, etc.

God has our lives in his hands. As we plan, we also trust in him. If our plans fall apart, God is still God, and he is still our provider. I want to plan and be wise, but I want to have the wisdom from above as I seek to be practical too.

Till next time,


Suzi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com