|

Saturday, March 12, 2005

The Long and Winding Road

Yesterday at work, I looked through the window to see the snow swirling around. Great. Friday night traffic is usually bad anyway, and snow flakes would not help anything. But the snow seemed to be sticking only to the grass, and those coming in the office said it wasn't too bad out there. Yet.

As the time of my departure neared, I checked the internet for a map of traffic. The interstate I usually took was jammed, as well as other highways. So, with the help of Jeff, my brother-in-law and boss, and Tim, my husband, I planned an alternate route on side streets.

I was feeling very smug as I crossed I-494 and looked down my nose at stopped or crawling traffic. I felt even more self-satisfied as I cruised down four lane streets, crossing yet another highway. The roads were fine and I thought I'd be able to meet Tim for dinner in no time.

Well, the streets got narrower and more residential, but I was still moving along pretty well, and I wasn't lost. Then I arrived at the parkway--the one that goes around the lakes in Minneapolis. I've driven there before (and gotten lost before), so I thought this time I could handle it.

Well, I made about three wrong turns. At one point, I encircled an entire lake at least once before I talked to Tim on the phone and figured out how to get off the merry-go-round. And, the roads were starting to get icy. And, they were pretty, but they were also winding and a bit hilly.

Finally, I made it to the road to the restaurant where I was to join Tim and his parents for dinner. Just as I was about 1 mile away, I came to an accident scene--police with flares, and glare ice on a hill. Fortunately, I had slowed to less than ten miles an hour. I thought it probably would have been me in the accident if there were not all the flashing lights and warnings.

I arrived at the restaurant. There was a line in the bathroom, so I went on a search for the booth where Tim was seated. I had called Tim to ask him to order the French onion soup and the salad bar and hot tea. Well, they no longer had French onion soup, and I didn't have any silverware or tea. After a bit, though, I ordered Wild Rice Soup (not a bad substitute) and got my silverware for the salad bar. Oh yes, I made it to the bathroom, too.

Anyway, we got home with no problems. Mark and Christina were both out last night, but they made it home safely, too. I will be so glad for spring and the promise of temperatures above freezing. And the end of tax season with the promise of no more long commutes.

Till next time,


Suzi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com