|

Saturday, March 19, 2005

The snow did come

The snow did come. It came mostly in the south metro, where I was working. The employees of the company we share office space with went home early--many of them live in the southern suburbs. I was grateful for my Tundra truck with four wheel drive.

I watched the snow pile up. We had some older people coming to the office, and the two building owners who usually shovel were off yesterday, so Blaine from the shipping department took care of the front walk. In exchange, I gave him some stamps that came on tax returns in the mail. (He collects them, and didn't have the ones I gave him.)

The older people got down to their appointments all right. One was late and got lost, but another was early (they were coming from up north quite a ways, where there was no snow, but had heard about our storm.) So, it worked out to switch appointments.

In the afternoon a young lady came in who somehow got our address as a place where her car had been towed. Using switchboard.com I tried to help her locate her vehicle--finally we called the city police and found it that way. It was an usual interruption to the day, but hopefully a helpful one.

Don, our second accountant, called. It was good to hear from him--he is having some more tests on Monday, including some biopsies. There is a history of colon cancer in his family, so I'm hoping it's not that, but it's a possibility. He sounded good, and I told him not to worry, we were handling things and he should focus on getting well.

I hit the road around 5:45 or 6. When I went out to the truck, I had to push to get the back door of the office building open and wade through several inches of snow in the parking lot. The wind was whipping up a bit, so I tried to hurry as I brushed off snow from the windows, headlights and tail lights. I took some highways that had not looked to bad on the metro traffic map online, and actually things weren't too terrible. As I traveled farther north, the roads got better--not as snow packed, and closer to home the freeway was only wet. Side streets were rather snowy and a bit slippery, but I had no incidents and was thankful to arrive safely at home. I guess far northern suburbs got no snow at all, but south of the metro they had over a foot. Rochester, MN broke a record for the most snow in one day for their area--I think they had almost 15 inches in a 24-hour period.

Tomorrow is spring, but I think there is snow in the forecast for Monday. (I'm working, of course.) Ah, Minnesota. If you don't like the weather, just wait till tomorrow.....

Till next time,


Suzi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com