|

Tuesday, May 31, 2005

The irises are blooming!

Every year I wonder if they will come back. I planted some yellow irises that our neighbor gave us several years ago, and they usually appear around the end of May. This year they opened up on May 28--several yellow blooms, brightening the area around our mailbox by the curb.

One year they didn't bloom. The leaves came up, but the blooms never appeared. That fall, I divided the bulbs and then they came back in the spring. I should have divided them last fall, but didn't---but they came back anyway!

I love irises--and perhaps because we have them for such a short time. They will bloom for a few weeks, then they'll be done. These are the only flowers I have in our yard--we have bushes, trees and other plants, but not any more flowers. I don't really have a green thumb. So, I enjoy my irises and the wonderful flowers in my neighbor's garden.

Spring is here at last--the irises, summer birds, and sunshine are testimony to that. I'll enjoy the irises before the heat of summer is in full swing and before we know it, fall will be here again.

Till next time,


Suzi

1 Comments:

Blogger Cheri said...

I love irises, too. We are probably a week or so behind you. We just have a few buds on ours. Lilacs are finally in full bloom though!

12:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com