|

Saturday, September 03, 2005

Old friends

Yesterday we picked up an old friend at the airport--Thomas, who I mentioned in yesterday's blog. We haven't seen him in about 17 years, and only recently have established e-mail contact, as his son will begin studying at Macalester College (or is it University now?) in St. Paul. This weekend he'll be busy with parent/student orientations, but it was fun to spend some time together yesterday afternoon and evening, and we look forward to showing this New York City dweller the Minnesota State Fair on Monday.

This year seems to have been the year of reconnecting. As I wrote about before, I went to visit my old college roommate Joy and other roommate Bobbie joined us. With Joy, Bobbie, and now Thomas, the years seemed to melt away as we caught up with what's been happening in our lives since our last meeting and sharing memories of old times.

The old song is really true: "Make new friends, but keep the old, one is silver and the other gold."

I love my "silver" friends, but I treasure my "gold" friends as well. There's something about sharing a part of our personal history that is priceless. I'm sort of a nostalgic sap in a way--I hate to lose contact with people (our Christmas list has over 100 addressees in it).

Our 25th reunion for Bethel college is coming up in a few weeks. I'm sure I'll be a sentimental sap at that time, as well. "Memories, may be beautiful and yet...." (oops, my kids hate when I break into song.....)

Till next time,


Suzi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com