|

Saturday, February 04, 2006

I came in second place at Blokus

I was pleased and amazed. I knew that being the only woman playing this man's game of Blokus was probably fruitless. I'd rather play a relational game or a word game or even Twister than a game involving any strategy. But I agreed to let myself be humiliated so that the newer players could maintain healthy self-esteem.

So, I was flabbergasted that I came in second place to my husband Tim, the keeper of all pieces blue (it's my favorite color, too, but he ALWAYS hogs it). I was just beginning to feel a little cocky when we played round two.

I lost. And to make matters worse, Tim sat out the next game (which I sat out as well) and let our pastor (who was hosting the evening) USE HIS BLUE PIECES!!!!!

I've never been able to be blue with Tim in the room. And sure enough, Pastor Paul won both rounds of Blokus even though he was a rookie.

So I spent the rest of the evening gameless. I had some hot cider and a couple pretzels, and moved to the Girls & Michael table. They had been playing Sequence, then played Golf, which, I guess is a card game. I tried to crack jokes to feel part of the group, but no one laughed when I said the opposite of Golf is Flog (well, it is Golf spelled backwards). What was I thinking? Then I went on about how golf is a silly spectator sport, and told the old joke about why do people watch soccer (so they don't have to play it) and tried to make the link (pun intended) to golf. I was in rare form, having had four large Diet Cokes within a four-hour period or so.

Anyway, my new goal in life is to someday beat my husband at Blokus. And I want to beat him with the blue pieces.

I'd probably have better chances to play a round of golf with the lowest score. That is the object of golf, right--to get the lowest score? Seems a little pointless (ha, another pun!) to me...

Till next blok, I mean blog,


Suzi

PS If you want to see a Blokus board, check out Tim's Blog.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com