|

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

The last day of unemployment

Tomorrow I begin my new job. I'm excited to begin a journey to be part of something bigger than myself--to join a staff at a university where students now number in the thousands.

Yet I'll be in an office with only five other people, so there will be an opportunity for intimacy of a sort as well. I'm hoping to get to know students and perhaps help them in their experience as they take steps in their transitions.

Our friend Jeremy, an IT whiz at Bethel, e-mailed me a map and a schedule--tomorrow is the day new students and their parents arrive. I appreciate the heads up: I should probably get there plenty early to find parking and weave through the masses.

It was 30 years ago that I was one of those students, arriving on campus with my parents. I'll never forget the feeling after Mom and Dad left--and me not knowing anyone well at all (my sister had a couple of friends who attended).

Now I know a few people and will come home to my family every day. It's a little scary, but 30 years of growth and gray hairs has given me a bit of security.

Till next time,


Suzi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com