|

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Be the change that you want to see in the world.

Yesterday I went to my first chapel at Bethel since I was a student there. I rarely missed chapel when I was a student and got to hear some amazing speakers then. I have to admit part of the reason I went yesterday was to earn brownie points at work, since the speaker was one of the faculty with whom I work (gotta use proper English here), Curtiss DeYoung. (Please forgive me if I misconstrue part of his talk--I didn't take notes but hope I am true to the heart of his message.)

Dr. DeYoung teaches Reconciliation Studies at Bethel, which is actually a major now. The message yesterday was based on the scripture "Jesus Wept"--not only how he wept at the tomb of Lazarus, but also over the city of Jerusalem during his triumphal entry.

Dr. DeYoung described a visit he had had to Jerusalem. He visited a church at the Mt. of Olives--I think it was the church of the Holy Sepulcher. In this single church was housed many different churches--and they quarreled and bickered with each other through the ages. In the 12th century the key to the main door of the church was given to a Muslim, and since that time there has been relative peace.

Dr. DeYoung acquired the business card of the man who told him this story--who was giving him a tour of the church. On it read the man's name, and under it, Keeper of the Key of the Church of the Holy Sepulcher.

This man's family has been in possession of this key for almost 1000 years! Dr. DeYoung wore a Muslim cap for the rest of his message to demonstrate how people of a different faith brought peace to those who quarreled within Christendom.

We were encouraged to be peacemakers, to weep as Jesus wept at division, and work toward reconciliation. Then at the end of his talk, Dr. DeYoung quoted Gandhi: "Be the change that you want to see in the world."

It's easy to complain about all the things people do wrong--inside and outside of the church. It's quite another to initiate change, to be the peacemaker, to act on the things we speak of.

Till next time,


Suzi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com